MEMO TO MEN: Finding love is like finding a good book

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

FREE IMAGES
MEMORANDUM
TO: Men all over the planet
FROM: Melissa
RE: Searching for the perfect book
DATE: July 17, 2013
So, boys, let's continue with the bookstore theme today, shall we? The more of these guys I saw, the more intrigued I became. In fact, there is nothing sexier than a man reading a book. Maybe that’s the writer in me talking, but if you can picture a man reading, your mind inevitably comes to the conclusion that a reading man is a talking man as well. And words? Well, those things are whole different type of sexy beast. That would also partially explain why so many college students fall in love with their professors. Books could quite possibly be the new lusting machine that no one can resist.

But the talking part? That, I will admit, is what I’ve had the most trouble navigating in the past. How do you flirt in a bookstore? I’m the sort of awkward girl who would try to coyly pretend I was reading a Shakespeare tragedy because I’d be giggling like a giddy schoolgirl behind the book. In fact, I’m not the sort of girl who can flirt on her feet. Ever. I see women who can toss their hair back, laugh naturally and lightly brush against the man’s arm as she sashays away. I've just never been that girl. I’ve never been able to do that, let alone do it in such a place as a bookstore. I’ve even tried to think of perfect pick-up lines, but they’d only end up sounding dorky and cheesy anyway...

"That has to be the luckiest book in the world. It’s in your arms."
"Don’t tell me how it ends; I haven’t read it yet."
"Don’t you love when books have the ending you were hoping for?"
"Can you read minds like you read books?"
"So...do you come to this bookstore often?"
See? Not very glamorous or sexy or even creative. So more often than not, I just end up admiring these men from afar, trying to make it look like I’m not looking at them, but making the right amount of eye contact to (hopefully) get his attention without leading him to think I’m some stalker. oh, and on that note, if you’re hiding behind a book, choose wisely. Nothing says “she’s not for me” faster than a behind-the-scenes book about Fatal Attraction or Love Addiction For Dummies.

So where exactly does that leave me? Still intrigued, but with an additional love lesson in my arsenal. Finding love nowadays is sort of like finding the perfect book, the book you want to curl up on the couch with on a rainy Sunday afternoon. It might take a little longer than you think to find just the one you're looking for -- obviously, I can attest to that. You have to wade through the flashy eye-catching covers that, when you sit down to read what’s inside, have absolutely no soul or substance whatsoever. But on the other hand, you have to be willing to give a simple, plain-looking book a second glance. You could very well be swept away by what’s below the dull surface. And ultimately, once you find your favorite book, you’ll want to spend the rest of your life holding onto it.
I’ll probably be heading to the bookstore a lot more these days. I do have research to do, after all. Maybe bookstores really are the new single’s bars. What do you think, boys? Make sure you look for me during your next browsing session. I'll be the shy girl making eye contact from behind the stacks... xoxo

[Photos via We Heart It]

No comments:

Post a Comment